Wildland Urban Interface Grant Program
Montana Department Natural Resources and Conservation
The Western States Wildland Urban Interface (WUI) Grant Program supports Shared Stewardship, state Forest Action Plans and the goals of the National Cohesive Wildland Fire Management Strategy.
PROJECTS MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING INTENT:
▪ Protect communities within the WUI through outcome driven, cross-boundary, innovative projects that align with priority areas identified in the Montana Statewide Wildfire Risk Assessment.
▪ Qualifying projects should fall into one or more categories:
• Reduce hazardous fuels in the WUI
• WUI-based prevention and education
• Community Wildfire Protection Plan (CWPP) development or update.
GRANT AMOUNT & REVIEW
▪ Budget requests should be $262,500 or less.
▪ A Request for Proposals is distributed annually to partners statewide in January/February.
▪ Applications are reviewed annually. The DNRC Forest Stewardship Program works with partners to edit their proposals before sending them on to the regional review process, which occurs in September.
▪ Requires a 25% match, calculated as a percentage of total grant funds requested.
▪ For WUI hazardous fuels reduction projects, match should be met by the landowners through contributions towards the completion of their project.